Tuesday 16 August 2011

A Father's Legacy

My biological father was a douche and as an adult I can proudly declare that I inherited very few things from him. I've become my own man.... HOWEVER.... the one thing that's been bequest upon me is my love of bacon sandwiches. 

In the early years I spent with him on his allocated weekends I was often awoken to that mind altering smell of crispy bacon. He would cook it under the griller (non of that fry pan shit) which would turn the rind into a delicious crackling that snapped and crunched in your mouth. Cooking bacon this way as opposed to frying is a practice I carry forth today and will pass along as life ticks by. What a legacy to leave a son, eh? The art of cooking bacon!

His house was located on a lake and there was a marina close-by, which had all kinds of shops, cafes and restaurants. I recall vividly as 10 year old how I desperately wanted to share my passion for bacon sandwiches with the world. The thought of opening my very own bacon sandwich restaurant was constantly on my mind. The menu would consist of a variety of sandwiches, all of which were bacon. Crispy bacon, short cut bacon, Canadian bacon and even ham. I would provide a whole selection of breads ranging from multigrain to sourdough but of course the chef's recommendation would be a simple white bread. 

Of course I grew older and matured into the man I am thanks to my step-father who I consider to be my real dad. He taught me the essentials in life from riding my first bike to managing finances (still struggling with that one) but the one thing he didn't teach me was the art of a bacon sandwich. THAT skill and devotion is thanks to that sperm donor who knew how to cook that shit up!


No comments:

Post a Comment